Power Outage Safety Tips
Power interruptions are usually infrequent and brief, but there are times, due to the weather and acts of nature, when your service will be interrupted.
When the Power is Off
Check with nearby neighbors to see if they are also without power. If not, check the fuses or circuit breakers in your service box panel. If necessary, replace any fuses or reset the circuit breakers. Remember to check the primary cartridge fuses in the fuse box or main circuit breaker. If neighbors are also out of power, call Kootenai Electric at 1.877.744.1055 to report the outage. Don’t assume someone else will call.
During the Power Interruption
- Stay away from power lines on the ground. Always assume downed lines are energized even if the lines are sagging or broken.
- Do not attempt to remove trees or limbs from lines.
- Do not sit in an idling car in the garage to get warm. Never use a camp stove or charcoal grill indoors to generate heat.
- Unplug electronic equipment such as TVs, computers and microwaves.
- Lower the thermostat to a minimum.
- Turn off all appliances that were on when the power went out.
- Leave an outside light on so repair crews will know when power is back on.
- Have a battery-operated radio or TV. In the case of large outages, KEC notifies the media of the status of the outage.
- Have a cell phone or inexpensive, basic phone available to make and receive calls during an outage. Many of the latest phone models do not work without power.
At KEC, we’re doing all we can to prevent power outages. But on those occasions when they do occur, our outage number, 1.877.744.1055, helps us resolve the problem quickly and efficiently.
How Our Outage System Works
A power outage reported using our outage number is automatically matched to our computer database using the phone number you call from. If you're not calling from the phone number in our system you can enter the number tied to your KEC account or you can enter your KEC account number and still be automatically matched. The location of the outage then lights up on a map. This is why it is beneficial for KEC to have on file the phone number you are most likely to call from to report a power outage.
If we do not have your phone number, the outage line will tell you that your call does not match our records. Please know that these calls are still processed - it is just done manually, which may slow the process and our response time.